My name is Holly and I am a recovering health retard (no insults intended).
I don’t know about you, but when I was a kid, what I ate didn’t have anything to do with my health (or so I believed). I grew up only caring about the flavor of foods. Pretty much only cared if it was sweet or salty. I did like water and was lucky enough to grow up drinking well or spring water, but I always opted for a soda. One that seemed like it had cocaine in it. Oh wait, it did at one point. Before my time.
My parents had a rule of only one soda a day and I thought that was because they were always penny-pinching, but it was because it had so much sugar.
Probably because I almost died when I was around 5 years old because I ate so much sugar that it rotted a few of my baby teeth and I had an infection that almost killed me.
Well… I survived 🙂
To go on and eat like shit for many more years. Really, I only started smartening up when I had children. Then last year pushed me over the edge into the “OK! I get it. Eat well and you will be rewarded. Eat poorly and you shall suffaaa!”
It started with some very near and dear stress (one of my beloved dogs died) and that turned into major stress (moving, trying to find ways to make money, general momming, cooking, cleaning, everyday issues, debt, bills, life, and so on). That turned into depression. That turned into IBS (I was sick constantly), auto-immune disorders, fibromyalgia, thyroid issues (hair and eyebrow thinning), anxiety, and all the other lovely things surrounding that bull shit.
I was so stressed out and freaked out for what were good reasons at the time, but this didn’t matter. If you trigger that fight or flight mechanism inside, then you’re severely hindering your ability to handle certain situations. Feeling panicked, scared, or depressed triggers that fight or flight instinct because it’s perceived as a danger in any case and your body is telling you to get out of that situation as soon as possible.
Well, I couldn’t leave my situation. It was the current living situation that I was in that was essentially killing me. I had been working for a decade towards huge goals and everything seemed like it was always changing, but never delivering what I was working for, just more debt, more stress, more responsibility. And it was debilitating me.
I understand what happened to me now, but at the time I was still cursing the world screaming “WHY!?” in my head.
Now I know why and I’m going to tell you what I did to turn this sinking ship into a decked out luxury yacht (If I do say so myself 😉
My hope is that by giving you the basic info you can research if these things would work to help you too. Good luck!
Anxiety, stress, depression and how I handle those everyday stressors:
- Essential Oils diffused in a diffuser in whatever room you’re in
- When I have major issues (stressful days for me) – I diffuse varying EO’s from when I wake up until I go to sleep. If I’m having mild issues, at least once a day is fine.
- I also took many Epsom salt baths for the magnesium with drops of lavender and frankincense in it.
- Click the underlined EO name for an external link to more info on that type of essential oil.
- Lavender – calming, tension releasing, great for easing depression, mood stabilizing, also great for wound care and relieving skin redness, among many other uses.
- Frankincense – Great for tons of things! Anti-inflammatory, great for the immune system, the limbic system of the brain, which influences the nervous system.
- Rosemary – This actually helps so many things also. Helped me with indigestion, hair regrowth, and memory! And remembering what you’re doing is great at relieving stress!
- Myrrh – I used it because it’s many uses.
- Lemon – Uplifting, stress relieving, energizing.
- These are just some of the EO’s that I use and there are so many amazing essential oils that help with just about everything. Take this time to really dive into the ones that call out to you.
All of these supplements were extremely helpful in my recovery. It took me many weeks of research to find what and how to use them, but here’s a condensed version of the most helpful ones.
Another note is that It’s not cheap recovering from illnesses, but it was much cheaper for me to get all these things than to go to the emergency room once (which I did 🙁 ) Lesson learned for me.
- Proteins and Greens – At one point, this was all I could muster to eat. I would make the boys a big breakfast, try to eat, for a few months I usually couldn’t keep it down, end up hurling. After a while, I learned that when I’d make myself some proteins and greens with collagen peptides in it, I didn’t feel bad. So I kept doing that and along with all the other things I was doing I crawled out of the pathetic, helpless hole I had dug for myself and was literally like, “F*ck that shit!” (Excuse my french 😉
- Organic Hemp Protein – I added this to my proteins and greens so I was getting enough fiber in my diet. It was an amazing additive that really helped out!
There are even more healthy things that I do, but all that stuff jumbled together in a routine that worked for me was what catapulted me into a healthy body that has learned to focus inward, when necessary, so that I am in tune with my body, leading me to learn more useful facts, but I’ll leave those for other posts.
This photo was taken the first day I felt amazing, in June of 2016, after suffering severely for three months straight. I took it on a whim and some things are missing. There are also some things in this picture that I didn’t mention, but everything here helped me in some way. I wrote about all the things that had the biggest impact on me that I took regularly. Feel free to research anything I didn’t discuss or just ask. Since that day, I have suffered no stomach issues at all and I feel great!
All the information I am divulging is what worked for me in the situation I was in and with the illnesses that I had, the way that worked for me. I try to give as much detail as I can so that you can make decisions on your own and apply it to your life, if possible. Do your own research and/or consult a reputable nature-path or doctor before listening to some girl you read online.
Well wishes to you and yours,